Crispy on the outside, yummy and smoky flavoured on the inside, this recipe has everything you want from a burger.
Serve it with potato wedges or a big salad for a lighter meal.
MAKES 6 PATTIES
Preparation time: 35 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes
• 2 large beetroots (about 350g/12oz)
• 1 large onion
• 100g/3oz green lentils, cooked
• 50g/1oz red lentils, cooked
• 200g/8oz feta cheese
• 2 tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp oregano
• ½ tsp chilli flakes
• 4 tbsp oats
• 2 eggs
1. Peel and grate the beetroot and onion on a box grater or use a food processor with the grating blades attached.
2. Place the grated vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
3. Crumble in the feta and add the cooked lentils, paprika, oregano, chilli and a pinch of salt and pepper, mix through.
4. Add the eggs and oats, and mix well to combine.
5. Place in the fridge for at least an hour (this step is important for the burgers to hold together).
6. Form six patties with your hands.
7. Bake in the oven at 200C/180C fan/Gas 6 for 25-35 minutes, until slightly crisp on the outside.
8. Serve in burger buns with the toppings of your choice. (I like avocado, salad and hot sauce. Or try garlic mayo and sliced cucumber.)Enjoy more Kitchen Garden reading in the monthly magazine. Click here to subscribe.
Sign-up to the Kitchen Garden Magazine Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address below to see a free digital back issue of Kitchen Garden Magazine and get regular updates straight to your inbox…You can unsubscribe at any time.